Teaching is one thing, and I think I would really love it, but hunting caribou and moose is completely another. You'll never starve! Moose is awesome...it's so much better than beef. (more than one person said this). The other bright spot tonight was...well, alot of the villages don't have running water, but the teacher housing DOES!! (at least until it gets to -50 F and the pipes freeze) tough luck after that....Oh, and during the spring thaw or breakage, I forget the exact term, the village has a tendency to flood, it doesn't every year, but it did this year. GREAT! I'm so happy for you...The other thing that surprised me was...well, you have to fly there, there really aren't any roads, most people have 4 wheelers or snow machines, so if you have issues with small planes, this might not be the area for you.... and you can drive your snowmachine for several hundred miles without seeing anything....The energy of choice is diesel generators, and heating is by piping hot water around the room, supposedly an even source of heat.
But after all that, the amount of people that say they LOVE Alaska, love teaching, love living in the remote communities was suspiciously too many for the conditions they were describing. Several prospective students even stated that they had grown up in Alaska, regretted leaving and were hoping to get teaching jobs to move back. Perhaps the jetlag is affecting me more than I realized....
No comments:
Post a Comment