Today I was thrilled because I got all of the class to participate in a brainstorming activity on the SmartBoard. What was really thrilling was that the quietest and most shy kid in all three sections (that usually won't say a word or do anything to draw attention to himself) actually came to the board TWICE today. I had to do some serious coaxing and helped him find a word to write, but he DID IT!!! I had never seen him get out of his seat before. My host teacher says I am developing a rapport with them, so sad it has to end so soon. I want students to feel safe and welcome to share their opinions. I know that this kid would never have gotten out of his seat if he didn't feel safe with me, he is so shy. I also realized that creating a safe environment takes time....we have been in summer school for about 3 weeks now, and this is the first time he apparently felt safe enough to come to the board...I was so proud of him, and I encouraged and praised him for taking that step. Maybe that's why he felt comfortable enough to do it a second time during the class period.
No comments:
Post a Comment