Monday, July 13, 2009

How big is Alaska?

I always knew Alaska was big, but I was absolutely amazed at the sheer size of just the inner passage. It is 900 miles from Seattle to Juneau, it is also 600 air miles from Juneau to Anchorage, and an additional 357 miles to reach Fairbanks. Then it is an additional 110 miles to reach the Arctic Circle. From Juneau we are cruising farther up the Inner Passage to Hubbard Glacier. According to cruiseontheweb.com, Hubbard Glacier is..."Seventy-five miles long and covering over 1,350 square miles in area, the Hubbard Glacier is the largest tidewater glacier in North America. It is also one of the most impressive, a 300-foot wall of ice rising sheer and jagged from the ocean. You may hear the rumble and see the monumental splash as the glacier breaks off in great ice chunks, known as 'calves'."

Also according to Alaska.com, the 2003 population estimate for Juneau is 31,200. That's my kind of size city, maybe I should consider moving there next... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment